It is hard to predict how the users are going to like your website, even if you are a professional with years of experience. However, dedicated studies might help. These researches show what patterns users use when searching for information on the web and how the design affects their search patterns.
After reading this post, you will:
- Learn about the basic website research patterns used by visitors;
- Understand how to post information based on user patterns;
- Get an answer to a question about ethnic differences. Do you think that Chinese and Americans will read the site the same way, or each according to their behavior patterns?
- Learn how to create the design and structure of a web resource that users like.
- Research analytics results that you can use to make better websites
Large analytics companies and design agencies sometimes invest time and money into user behavior analytics. If you take your time to study those, you can discover lots of valuable insights.
Yin Yang: The Two Most Popular Patterns
According to the research conducted by NNGroup, patterns of human behavior haven’t changed since the advent of the internet. Recent studies date back to 2016, 2017, and 2019. They were carried out in the United States (Raleigh, San Francisco) and China (Beijing). The mechanisms remained the same; users still scan pages and do not read the majority of information. The results say that two main patterns are applied: F-shaped and Z-shaped (the so-called zigzag pattern).
When using the first pattern, a person first reads the necessary information from two horizontal lines and then proceeds to read the main array vertically. A zigzag pattern means reading in zigzags. The user scans the information they need, consuming only the vital data, and skipping the rest. When visiting search results pages with a complex structure, the so-called pinball pattern can be used. When applied, the user randomly “jumps” between the results, looking at the information that interests them. Certainly, implementing these techniques is an excellent small business site optimization tip.
Usually, the inspection takes place between the side panel on the right side of the screen and the columns with the search results located in the center. By the way, the patterns of Asian users are generally similar to those used by Western European, American, and Eastern European website visitors. Only Arab users have slightly different patterns. Their manner of reading is mirrored due to the peculiarities of writing. Remember this if you are considering creating a website focusing on the Asian or Middle Eastern segment.
How To Create Quality Content?
To ensure that users are satisfied with your site, it is best to hire professionals. Read more about the top web designers to understand how you can best utilize their services. They will optimize the content for your client’s needs and conduct the necessary research to prove their point. However, if you want to make it yourself, here is where to start.
How To Make Content Easy To Read
Using the tips below, you will increase the usability of the site and make visitors happy.
- Add images. Most people do not browse the pages of sites from and to. They seek out the necessary information with a glance. Using pictures will help users make sure that they are looking for precisely what they need. They should not be too bright; it will cause rejection.
- Place the primary information at the top of the website. Using the F-pattern, the visitors will immediately notice the most crucial information.
- Use tables. Adding tables will help fit the main information in one container. It is recommended to use them to compare something or to provide content more logically.
- Use built-in units. These may include, for example, a quote or highlighting the main idea between 2 vertical lines. This will help to find out the primary information without rereading the entire text.
- Do not add ads. Studies have shown that in-text business advertising can lead to a sharp loss of attention and page closure. When an advertising design element comes into view of a user, he may think that the whole article is custom-made and stop reading.
- Use clear headings and subheadings. Divide content into sections so people can find what they are interested in.
In general, the following follows from the research: people have little time and do not want to make an effort and spend precious minutes studying your website. Formulate the design and content of your website according to the needs of your target audience.
Your main tasks:
- Submit to the user all the necessary information in a dosed and understandable way;
- Do not scare them away with advertising, bright banners, or other elements;
- Provide a quick answer to their questions and allow finding the necessary information if the visitor does not receive the right solution to his question immediately;
- Create a design based on the needs, expectations, and desires of your target audience.
- Solving visitors’ problems will make them happier and help your company get more customers and increase revenue.